By Head Coach Eric Kenyon
2015 was an exciting year for us at Form is Function. Our students are making progress toward their goals faster than ever. That is very important to us. In fact it is the only important thing. Local clinicians, chiropractors and physical therapists sent us a very large number of referrals last year. At a group class you may find half the people there were sent by their chiropractor. Why would a chiropractor send his or her patients to Form is Function?
1. Seven years of noticing that Form is Function’s are the only group classes in our area where nobody ever gets injured.
2.. Seven years of noticing that chiropractic adjustments preformed on Form is Function private and group exercise students last longer.
3. Seven years of noticing that Form is Function private and group students heal quicker, and make more complete recoveries than other patients.
4. Seven years of noticing that often patients who are making no progress suddenly make breakthroughs when they start training with Form is Function.
How do we accomplish all this? That is for another article. For now it is enough to know: at Form is Function we work with your clinical needs, not against.
Another exciting spectacle is the continuing effect our instruction has on local martial artist’s, especially Aikido practitioners. We have been teaching strength & conditioning at Aikido’Ka of Grass Valley for nearly five years. Here are some of the results achieved by our Aikido people:
1. Decreased incidence of injuries.
2. Increased full body strength, up to 200%.
3. Faster progress learning Aikido skills.
4. Increased endurance in Aikido and everything else.
5. Improved healing of old injuries.
6. Increased enjoyment of Aikido.
7. Improved ability to demonstrate and teach Aikido.
In the realm of professional athletics Form is Function athlete Evan Strong followed up his Gold medal at the 2014 Olympics with an impressive 2014/15 snowboard racing season. Among other triumphs Evan won gold at the Nationals and at the World Cup in the new snowboard racing discipline of Banked Slalom. In the warm months Evan achieved world ranking 14th in ocean wave surfing, newly designated an Olympic sport! Evan has already won gold at the Europa Cup and World Cups this season, and is headed for a very busy winter, including his 5th X Games.
In the three years plus I have trained Evan he has steadily upgraded his estimate of the importance of the training he does with FIF. Here are some links to an article and two audio interviews about Evan’s strength and conditioning training.
Form is Function has a small but very dynamic crew of pro snowboard racers. We’ll keep you posted on what is shaping up to be an excellent season of snow and snowboarding.
2015 saw several important visits by our colleague Ron Jones from Valencia. Ron presented unique exercise workshops introducing his Circular Restorative Arts, Indian Club Basics, La Sierra Calisthenic, and a fascinating historical presentation entitled The Golden Age of Exercise. Ron’s cutting edge instruction substantially increased the abilities of FIF staff and other local health professionals serving our community.
In 2016, our 8th year in Nevada County, look for more Indian clubs and more La Sierra type calisthenic in our group classes. More importantly, look for even faster and more dramatic results in private and group training settings. We are now teaching thirteen group classes per week in Nevada County, and more to be scheduled soon. – EK